I think I've come a long way since the beginning of class, and my grades reflect that. Each speech has gotten a little easier. For the first speech, I was super nervous. By the time the final speech rolled around, it was walk to the podium, take a deep breath, and jump in. My organization of ideas has even gotten better as the semester wore on. I don't jump around as much, and each idea has a connection to my message.
I know I still need to work on watching my time. My visuals could still use some work, but that will only get better with practice. And I know I need to curb my pacing habit. During the first speech, I paced because I was nervous, and when I sat on the table, I felt more focused. I didn't budge during the decond or third speech, and I got more nervous because I was concentrating on not moving. During the fourth speech, I walked back and forth at some point because I was getting into my speech.
Before this class, all it took to change my mind was a good speaker, and for me to be on the fence about something. Now I'm more apt to listen for the key points and arguments, instead of just the way the speaker presents an idea.
A few suggestions for next semester, if I may:
- a digital stopwatch set to the maximum time on the podium for each speaker
- a blank sheet/chart attached to the syllabus so students can keep track of their grades for each assignment, and make an informed decision about which items to sacrifice. I made one for myself mid-semester and it helped a lot.
Overall, the class was fun. Admittedly, the material was boring, but you had a way of making it fun (the videos, group presentation, etc). The course was perfect for both people who want an A and for people who just want their 3 credits. I wish you taught the other Com classes I'll be taking over the summer semester (1 or 2, not sure yet, but I think they're both lower level).
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Jessica,
Your evaluation was spot on. I saw a tremendous improvement, especially in the organization of your speeches. I think you came to the class with a strength in being able to project confidence when you speak (whether you felt that or not, you projected that confidence, which is important).
Thank-you for the suggestions. I will definitely incorporate them into the course next semester. I think it will help students to understand the assignments and grading options. I had begun to reconsider having students have optional assignments. However, I feel with a grading sheet, it might make it easier for them to follow. That way, also, if there is a discrepancy between my grades and theirs, they have something tangible to show me.
I decided to take the summer off to finish up my dissertation, so I won't be teaching this summer. If you need letters of recommendation for graduate study in the future, I would be more than happy to write one. Just e-mail me.
Post a Comment